You may experience dandruff problem doubling in the winter. The feeling of itchiness in your head and white flakes on the shoulder are pretty common during the cold season. Isn’t it?
Do you know how this happens? Why is dandruff worse during winter than summer? Let’s find out the reasons.
1. Dandruff is seasonal
Dandruff is severe during winters and mild during springs and summers. In the cold season, your scalp becomes drier due to the cold air, which causes more dandruff.
2. Dryness in your skin
When your skin is exposed to cold, it becomes dry. Dry skin is the leading cause of dandruff. So, you need to protect your skin from cold to fight dandruff.
3. Less Shampooing
Who would bother to take a daily shower during winter? In the absence of hair-wash, a Malassezia fungus that aids dandruff multiplies. So, even if you don’t shampoo your hair, brush it thoroughly. Brushing disrupts this fungus.
We tend to drink less water during the cold season. When you drink less water, your skin and hair are more likely to get dehydrated causing dandruff. So, manage to drink 4-5 liters of water every day.
5. Use of direct heat
You probably use hair-dryers and ironing sticks in winter to prevent cold. But, these tools leave your scalp dry and cause more dandruff. Dry your hair with a towel to avoid dryness.
SOLUTIONS TO PREVENT DANDRUFF DURING WINTER
- Stay hydrated.
- Avoid direct heat such as ironing and hairdryers.
- Include vitamin B, zinc, and omega 3 in your diet.
- Reduce sugar intake.
- Oil your hair.
- Apply allicins (onion and garlic mixed juice with honey on your scalp, wash after 15 min)
- Reduce stress.
- Avoid coloring your hair.
- Protect your scalp from cold with warm clothes.
- Dandruff is seasonal and worsens during winter.
- During the cold season, your scalp becomes dry and causes more dandruff.
- Dry skin eventually flakes off and becomes dandruff.
- Less shampooing and dehydration are also the leading cause of dandruff during the winter.
- Use of direct also worsens your dandruff.
- In the cold season, your hair requires extra care so, follow our given suggestion to overcome dandruff this winter.
Did you know?
More than 50 percent of the worldwide population experience dandruff problem during their lifetime.
Do you find this article helpful?
If you have any suggestion to minimize dandruff during winter, please let us know by commenting below.
If you like this article, please share it with your friends and family.